Ham and cheese buns – with or without a Thermomix
Stuffed buns are perfect for lunch boxes (for adults and kids alike), to take on a picnic, to serve as an aperitif or to have for a simple dinner, served with a green salad.
I made these with ham & cheese. Alternatives can be brie & cranberry, goats cheese, pesto, olives, chorizo, bacon, mozzarella, feta & sun-dried tomatoes. Fill them generously with what’s in your fridge, you can’t really go wrong!
* To ensure Momo & the Gang remains completely free to use, this post may contain affiliate links.
Can be frozen
For gluten-free, replace plain flour with buckwheat flour
For vegetarian – vary filling as above: brie & cranberry, goats cheese, pesto, feta and sundried tomatoes etc etc.
Active time: 20 minutes – Total time: 2h47
Makes 12 buns
- 200g milk
- 70g salted butter
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 15g fresh yeast
- 400g plain flour
- 6 slices ham, roughly chopped
- 6 slices cheddar cheese, roughly chopped
- 6 tsp mustard (we use Dijon mustard here but you can use whichever one you prefer)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Add 200g milk, 70g butter, 1tsp sugar and 15g fresh yeast to the mixing bowl. Mix for 3 minutes / 37C / speed 2.
- Add 400g flour and 1tsp salt to the bowl. Knead for 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with a damp cloth or cling film and leave to rest in a warm place for one hour.
- Flour your work surface and split the dough into 12.
- Roll out each piece into an oval / rough rectangle shape.
- Spread 1/2 tsp mustard, a generous portion of ham and cheddar cheese into each rectangle.
- Roll everything together into a log, and cut three slits into the top of each bun.
- Place the logs onto greaseproof paper, cover and allow to rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Brush the buns with egg yolk.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder (optional)
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Delicious. Bon appetit x